[Samba] Windows XP profile problems

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at borkholder.com
Wed Jan 26 21:40:20 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 26 January 2005 03:44 pm, Mike Partyka wrote:
> s there is trick to fully copying an existing local profile over to your
> new domain profile after you join the Samba domain?  I tried the profile
> copy under System Properties, on the advanced tab and although it
> completed, I log on and MS office wants to load files from the CD and my
> start menu seems to be missing the entire left side column.

If you look in the archives you might find that I had the same issues and with
the help of a few people on this list got it figured out.  Here are the
steps.

1.  Log in as local admin.  Delete all .DOMAIN or .000 profiles (right-click
and look at the security to be sure it is the domain profile).
1.5.  If that user has some privileges on the local system, it seems to work
better if you give the domain user the same permissions on the local system
(Administrator, Power User, etc).
2.  Remove the copied profile for the user from the server.
3.  Log in as the domain user.  Let it create a default profile.
4.  Restart the computer, log in as local admin.
5.  Right-click My Computer.  Choose Profiles or whatever.
6.  Choose your local user, click "Copy to".  Browse to the Documents&Settings
profile for your domain user (the default one you just created by logging in
as that user).  Set the "Allowed to use" to the domain user.  Let it  copy.
7.  Reboot the computer just to be safe, log in as the domain user.