[Samba] ACL's for smbpasswd to work?

Tim Tyler tyler at beloit.edu
Wed Jan 26 19:12:06 GMT 2005

   Samba experts,
     Thanks to advice from this list, I am finally able to get smbpasswd to
change ldap passwords for the Samba LM/NT passwords.   However, I had to
give write access to sambaPwdLastSet and sambaPwdCanChange attributes as
well.  Other Samba attributes don't seem to need write access.  I have
found plenty of examples with people assigning an ACL for sambaLMPassword
and sambaNTPassword, but I haven't found examples that included other
attributes such as sambaPwdLastSet and sambaPwdCanChange.
   Can someone explain why these fields need write access while there is so
little documentation suggesting it (if any)?  I guess I am not surprised
that they need write access as much as I am surprised there is so little
documentation suggesting it.

  Tim

Tim Tyler
Network Engineer - Beloit College