[Samba] memory issues with samba 3.0.10

David Schlenk david-schlenk at bethel.edu
Wed Jan 26 17:03:43 GMT 2005

On Jan 26, 2005, at 10:46 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> Our central print server runs 3.0.10 and several times a day one of the
> smbd processes starts to grow.  We simply keep an eye on it and can
> kill
> -9 the offender, the rest of the smbd processes seem oblivious to the
> event and trundle along happily.  We've seen these babies get as big as
> 989Mb (the average smbd seems about 70Mb),  and if we don't kill them
> the server eventually goes into swap frenzy which can eat-up the CPU.
>
> Perhaps you're seeing the same thing?

Not so much. It's the main smbd process, the one running as root.
Killing it makes the rest of them not work anymore.

I stopped samba, moved the old tdb's back to /var/lib/samba/printing
and it seems to be working better at this point.  I'm not sure if the
tdb's had anything to do with it or not, although they all have old
file modification dates on them, probably from before I was using
3.0.10 (so, 3.0.9 or more likely 3.0.5 created them).

On Jan 26, 2005, at 10:37 AM, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Your subject metions memory usage, but your mail talks
> about CPU usage.  Which is it
I'm not terribly familiar with how load is calculated, or exactly what
top's CPU% means, but I guess I figured that the memory usage thing
might have been causing the CPU usage, but perhaps I was thinking too
hard.
--
David Schlenk
Operating Systems Analyst