[Samba] access denied with samba share

Alexander Bub al.bub at web.de
Wed Jan 26 14:57:22 GMT 2005

I had the same problem as well and finally found a solution.

Some additional notices:

- I can access subdirectories of the share, e.g. attempting to access
   \\server\share gives "access denied", \\server\share\data works.
- Other XP Pro clients do not have this problem.
- The problem does not occur with a share served by Samba 2.2.3a.
- The problem does not occur after booting XP in Safe Mode with Networking.

I'm using SUSE Linux 9.2 german and Samba Version 3.0.2a-SUSE.

Then I finally found another client suddenly suffering from the same
problem. The user had just installed Panda Antivirus, et voilá: Turning
off the "permanent protection" feature (or deinstalling Panda) helped.
It seems that the error exists at least since version 3.02.04, which is
called "Titanium 2004".

Because this is an older thread, I include both previous messages.
Please excuse me if this should violate any rules.

-alb