[Samba] Samba PDC and Windows XP not executing logon.bat

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Tue Jan 25 15:16:09 GMT 2005

The "guest ok = Yes" line proved to be the secret to getting Windows XP to
execute the logon.bat file. Thanks for the suggestion!

Nowhere in any Samba documentation have I found that mentioned. It should be
in the book.

Thanks again,
Andy Liebman

Hi,

I have my netlogon share defined as such:

[netlogon]
~  comment = Netlogon
~  path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
~  guest ok = Yes
~  locking = No

I think the 'guest ok part' might help you... I'm not 100% sure...

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn

AndyLiebman at aol.com wrote:
| I have spent most of the past 24 hours reading various samba docs and
| searching google for help -- but can't find a solution. Suggestions
and solutions
| would be appreciated.
|
| I have set up a Linux Box (Samba 3.02) as a PDC with roaming profiles. (I
| haven't upgraded, because this box is a model for over 100 other boxes
in the
| field). I can add XP users to the domain and their roaming profiles
work great.
| However, I can't seem to get the logon.bat file to run when a user
logs on. I
| can run it from the windows command line (using the file stored the
linux box
| \\linuxbox\netlogon\logon.bat) -- and it does what it is supposed to
do. But
| this file will not run automatically when logging on.
|
| I created the logon.bat file on a Windows Box and copied it over to
the Linux
| Box (so the CR/LF thing should be fine). And of course the file runs
from the
| Windows command line, so there shouldn't be anything wrong with the file
| itself.
|
| In the smb.conf file, relevant listings include:
|
| [global]
| security = user
| domain master = Yes
| preferred master = Yes
| local master = Yes
| domain logons = Yes
| logon path = \\servername\Profiles\%U
| encrypt passwords = Yes
| logon script = logon.bat
| time server = Yes
|
| [netlogon]
| path = /etc/samba/netlogon
| read only = Yes
| browseable = No
|
| [profiles]
| path = /etc/samba/profiles
| browseable = No
| writeable = Yes
| create mask = 0600
| directory mask = 0700
| ;next line prevents desktop.ini from opening in Notepad upon logon
| hide files = /desktop.ini/

| A note on my smb.conf file. I originally set it up with the logon path =
| \\servername\Profiles\%U with an uppercase P in Profiles.
|
| Then I noticed that the share name "profiles" had a lower case "p". No
I find