[Samba] Compiling and installing minimal SAMBA

Jari Lansio jari.lansio at nokia.com
Tue Jan 25 10:25:41 GMT 2005

Hello,

I'm trying to compile Samba 3.0.10 for Linux (Debian distro) and I'm
looking for minimal disk foorprint for SAMBA server and client binaries.
The only functionality I need is disk sharing.

Currently I'm using these flags for ./configure:
    --without-ldap --without-ads --without-sys-quotas --without-utmp
    --without-manpages --with-libsmbclient --without-sendfile-support
    --without-winbind --without-python --enable-shared --disable-cups

With the flags I get binaries that take 20 MB, excluding SWAT and docs.
Could I use some other flags too to reduce the size of the binaries?

More importantly, which of the generated binaries are needed in server
size, and which in client size. Again, I'm just looking for file sharing.

-jarppe

   If you have the right attitude, interesting problems will find you.
       -- Eric Steven Raymond