[Samba] Re: Samba-Rights-HOWTO

Manuel Capinha mcapinha at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 23:55:27 GMT 2005

>From the Samba-Rights-HOWTO:

SePrintOperatorPrivilege
  This privilege operates identically to the 'printer admin'
  option in smb.conf(5) except that is is a global right (not
  on a per printer basis).  Eventually the smb.conf option will
  be deprecated and administrative rights to printers will be
  controlled exclusively by this right and the security
  descriptor associated with the printer object in
  ntprinters.tdb.

I was under the impression that "printer admin" is a global right,
right now. Isn't it so ?

And one question about this new privileges setup:
Right now I've got one samba machine acting as a print server. The
samba server was joined to an AD domain (W2K3 servers, not Samba).

I've got "printer admin = @Domain Admins" in my smb.conf. When the new
privileges setup system starts handling the printer admin directive,
how will I be able to manage my printers ?
I mean, if the "printer admin" directive is going to be deprecated,
will samba use my AD controller to get the rights for the printers ?

Thanks,
Manuel