[Samba] changing ldap passwords?

Tim Tyler tyler at beloit.edu
Mon Jan 24 22:57:58 GMT 2005

Ok, but I seem to get this error when using smbpasswd
   # smbpasswd goliath
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
ldapsam_modify_entry: Failed to modify user dn=
uid=goliath,ou=People,dc=lincon,dc=beloit,dc=edu with: Insufficient access

ldapsam_update_sam_account: failed to modify user with uid = goliath,
error:  (Success)
Failed to modify entry for user goliath.
Failed to modify password entry for user goliath

I am not sure what I am doing wrong in my setups.    Does this acl in
ldap's slapd.conf look ok?
access to attr=sambaLMPassword,sambaNTPassword
         by
dn.exact="uid=samba_servers,ou=People,dc=lincon,dc=beloit,dc=edu" read
         by * none

What about this as the account for samba password administration (ldif format)?
# samba_servers, People, lincon.beloit.edu
dn: uid=samba_servers,ou=People,dc=lincon,dc=beloit,dc=edu
objectClass: person
objectClass: uidObject
uid: samba_servers
cn: samba_servers
sn: samba_servers

Any idea why I might be getting the error above?
  Tim

tyler at beloit.edu