[Samba] same profile for all users

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Jan 24 21:18:21 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 15:18 +0100, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
> Florian Effenberger:
>
> > is it possible to have the same profile for some users (or a group of
> > users) without having to use a separate profile directory for each user?
> >
> > I would like to set up a pre-defined mandatory profile for a school with
> > more than 1,000 students. Each student should have the same, unchangeable
> > profile. Is it possible to run it out of one profile directory? If yes,
> > how?
>
> Isn't this described very fully in Inge-Håvard Hunstad's contribution to
> the LDAP HOWTO?
>
> "But I don't use LDAP".
>
> Never mind, that's where it's described, more or less at the end. Mind
> you, you're apparently going to have to do "more than 1,000" regedits, but
> that's the joy of Windows. Maybe there's an automated method ...
----
I think some checking in the How-To should provide the answer. It's
'mandatory' profiles and you should be able to accomplish this by having
a "Default User" profile on the profile server and having the policy of
deleting local profile at log off from each workstation.

Of course this means that you can't leave things on "My Documents" or
"Desktop" because they would be trashed but files could be stored in
individual users 'home' directories or shared directories.

Craig