[Samba] Inherit permissions question (Please help)

David Wilson dave at dcdata.co.za
Mon Jan 24 14:41:55 GMT 2005

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for your reply.
OK, that makes sense. Unfortunately I can't use the "force user" option on
the share due to the sub folders in the share being owned separately by
other users (600+ of them).
If the administrator(root) had to write a file (test.txt) to the user1
folder and I had "inherit permissions" turned on, then file would be written
as:
rwx------ 16 root     Domain Admins     0 2005-01-21  07:07     test.txt
Unfortunately I need "user1" to own the file, just like it's parent
directory, which is as follows:
drwx----- 16 user1     users     4096 2005-01-21       user1/

The problem is that I have other users in the same "userprofile" share,
which each need to own their own profile folder and files in them.
Perhaps configuring filesystem ACLs and turning on "inherit acls" would help
?

Any ideas ? :)

Perhaps I need to write a "postexec" script that looks at the user's folder
name, which corresponds to the username and does a "chmod -R [user] [user]"
on the folder after data is written to it ?

Thank you for your assistance so far, greatly appreciated !

Kindest regards
David Wilson
D c D a t a
Tel +27 33 342 7003