[Samba] Disabling all locking in Samba?

Michael Wenig contact at wennysoft.de
Sat Jan 22 11:49:07 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I have a little bit strange problem:

We have a NAS-device which is available through nfs and CIFS. We have a
set of windows-servers which replicate data to this NAS-box and a big
amount of user which access the NAS readonly. We now have the problem
that nearly everytime we want to replicate something (this is done in
the night) some files  are locked through CIFS (mainly because some
users do not shutdown their computers at night).

When we try to change the files via nfs everything is ok and the locks
seems not to be present. Now we thought that the solution is to update
the files via nfs but we had no success using the Windows Services for
unix. So we tried to setup a samba-server on a linux-box which has
nfs-access to the NAS-device. Using nfs without samba works ok but
trying to update a file via samba->nfs->NAS seems to use the locks of
the NAS-device:

NAS-device ------ nfs ------ samba ------ cifs ------ updating servers.

So the question now is:
How can we completly disable the lock-checking in samba so that we can
change files even if they are locked on the NAS-device? Since no user
have write access there should be no problem.

I would be very happy if someone could help me with this issue cause
this is a major problem to us.

Regards

Michael Wenig

--