[Samba] SAMBA + OPENLDAP - Getent - Please help :)

Choudary Mumtaz asadmumtaz1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 21 22:47:35 GMT 2005

I have setup a SAMBA + OPENLDAP server following Samba-3 By Example, but I have run into several problems. All the tests described in the Chapter 6 such as pdbedit -Lv, slapcat, and ldapsearch -x -b give the desired results. But, getent can't read passwd or group information from ldap backend. I have done my best to solve the problem, but it just doesn't work. I have compiled the nss_ldap from Idealx and configured the /etc/ldap.conf as well as nsswitch.conf according to the instructions, but without any success.
May someone please point me, how to troubleshoot this issue?
Thank you.