[Samba] "Access Denied" from Windows

Joe Befumo joe at befumo.com
Fri Jan 21 15:00:04 GMT 2005

I've actually had this configuration in the past, but I have no recollection

of how I managed to make it happen.

I have a small NT 4.0 domain, and have just built a Red Hat 9 machine, which

I would like to make a member of the domain.  My networking is okay -- I can

ping the Linux machine from any of my windows boxes, and vice versa.

In Linux, I can see all of my domain shares, and can acces them--only
problem is that it's asking me for a windows password to access.

>From the Windows side, I can see the machine in my Network Neighborhood, but

when I click on the machine, I'm asked for a name and password.  When I
enter Root/root-password, it redisplays the same login screen, replacing the

user name "root" with "MY_WIN_DOMAIN_NAME\root.

In the NT Server Administrator, I've added the Linux machine as a member,
but when I double-click on the name, it tells me "Access Denied".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have the sense that I'm pretty
close here.  The following is a list of my Samba settings:

Thanks

Joe

======================================

# Samba config file created using SWAT

# from viking (127.0.0.1)

# Date: 2005/01/21 09:26:55

# Global parameters

[global]

            workgroup = SKYLAND

            netbios name = VIKING

            server string = samba server

            security = DOMAIN

            encrypt passwords = Yes

            obey pam restrictions = Yes

            password server = trouble

            pam password change = Yes

            passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u

            passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n

            unix password sync = Yes

            log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

            max log size = 0

            domain master = No