[Samba] Samba 3.0.9: 2 Domains on one server (browse.dat location)

Duncan Brannen dbb at st-andrews.ac.uk
Fri Jan 21 14:13:09 GMT 2005

Hi,
	I'm trying to run 2 domains from the one server.  I've got my 2 config files
and both servers run, bound to the correct interface if started normally.

The problem I have occurs when I try to start both at once.  nmdb seems to
be hardwired
to write to $SAMBA_ROOT/var/locks/browse.dat  so each instance of nmbd
overwrites
the data of the other.

Have I missed an option to configure it to write elsewhere? ( log, lock &
pid dirs don't do it)
or, do I have to recompile samba with a new root?

Feature Request::  Is it possible to have an option to reset this location
if it doesn't exist?

Is there a good howto anywhere on 2 domains / one machine or a good reason
not to do it?
(Pref for Solaris)

We've got the same users in each domain, with the same ldap backend, The
problem
being solved is that of giving some users escalated permissions when logged
into their
own domain (Set group of machines ) but allowing them to log into the
"World usable"
domain (open access machines) with normal permissions. Joe Blogs shouldn't
be able to
login to the 2nd domain, & I've controlled access using the ldap filter in
smb.conf. (Good / Bad idea?)

Any comments from those who done this appreciated.

Cheers,
	Duncan