[Samba] change SID in ntuser.dat

William Jojo jojowil at hvcc.edu
Fri Jan 21 12:40:30 GMT 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, peter grotz wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to migrate from 2.2.6 to 3.0.10 (with ldap). Is it possible to change
> the SID in the ntuser.dat on the server-saved profile?

Yes. The profiles command is what you seek. But, the server SID is only
part of the picture. If the user and group RID's do not match after the
migration, you will have a bit more work ahead of you.

Is there a reason for changing the server SID? Why not just take the SID
from 2.2.x with smbpasswd -X and put it into 3.0.x with "net setlocalsid"?

If your RID's are algorithmic or tdb, this would be a much simpler
solution for you. Of course, I offer this based on the limited information
you've provided.

Bill