[Samba] WinXP lost connection to Samba fileserver

Petr Vyhnal samba at cns-net.cz
Fri Jan 21 10:16:46 GMT 2005

Hello,

I have big problem with WinXP clients on my network. I tried to find
some solution via google, but without success. I have Win2K Server as a
PDC and Linux machine as a fileserver. Linux box is joined in domain and
all users are authorised against W2K server. When I start WXP client
everything works OK. But after about 30 minutes client workstation lost
connection to Samba server and only way how to get it working is to
reboot workstation. Samba server is visibe in network neighbourhood, but
when I try to access network drives, computer freeze for long time and
few minutes after show me login dialog or message that drive is not
accessible. I really don't know what I can do with it.

Thanx

Rudiik

Tech details:

PDC: Windows 2000 Server SP4
Linux: Mandrakelinux 9.1
Samba: Samba 3.0.2a from samba.org binary packages for Mdk 9.1

smb.conf - global part:

[global]
   workgroup = mycomp
   netbios name = server3