[Samba] winbind usernames

Matt Johnson johnsonmlw at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 19 17:39:13 GMT 2005

Hi,

I'm successfully using winbind to authenticate a
debian sarge workstation against an nt4 server.

Works a treat.

However, I have an odd situation where a user logs in
for the first time as "John Smith" and gets created a
"John Smith" directory in /home. *Then*, if they log
in as "john smith", they get a second directory
created as "john smith" in /home!

(yes, our nt4 usernames have whitespace in them, and
yes, it's a headache - but that's another story)

This is for a network of 600 pupils and teachers, who
cannot remember if they logged in lowercase, uppercase
or both.

How can I either (i) enforce lowercase only, or (ii)
have winbind treat "John" and "john" the same?

Thanks

--
Matt