[Samba] Free space calculation gets it wrong

Alexander Skwar listen at alexander.skwar.name
Wed Jan 19 08:22:25 GMT 2005

Hello!

Running Samba 3.x on HP-UX 11.00, Linux and Solaris.

I've got a problem with the free space calculation of Samba. The problem
is, that Samba only seems to return the free space available in the top
directory of a share and not the free space available in the current
directory. That's a problem for me, since I share a directory on the
server and then mount the actual "stuff" into it.

Let me give you an example:

I shared the directory "/Shares" on "server" with the name "Shares".
The directory /Shares is on / on the server.
In "/Shares", there's the directory "CAD". This directory is a seperate
file system.
Now I start the Windows Explorer (from Windows XP) and go to
\\server\Shares\CAD. The free space available is the same as
shown in \\server\Shares - IOW: it shows the free space from
/, and not from /Shares/CAD

Directory	Mountpoint	Free space
/Shares		/		20MiB
/Shares/CAD	/Shares/CAD	40GiB

Going to \\server\Shares\CAD shows me that 20MiB is available and not,
as wanted, 40GiB.

What do I have to do, to make Samba return the free space in the
current directory and not from the top most directory of the share?

First, I thought to write a script which I hook into the "dfree command"
option of Samba. But sadly this did not work :( Just like the man page
says, the script is only given "./" as the first (and only) parameter.
I also did not see anything of interest in the environment (as
printed by the "env" command). I don't quite see how to get to what
directory "./" (the current directory) is referring.

Do you have any clues on how to solve that problem?

BTW: Also sharing /Shares/CAD is not a solution I'm after :)

Thanks a lot,

Alexander Skwar
--
If there were a school for, say, sheet metal workers, that after three
years left its graduates as unprepared for their careers as does law