[Samba] Re: Re: Re: Question about win2000 and samba

Marco De Vitis starless at spin.it
Tue Jan 18 21:07:42 GMT 2005

On 24/12/2004 Gémes Géza wrote:
> Changed the NICs and other hardware (even the servers), and of course
> the Samba release (a couple of times) since the problem first apeared in
> 2001 (then we got our first Win2k workstations). I haven't inspected
> Samba logs (yet) haunting for such simptoms, but I've did it many times

Indeed, today I finally replaced the NIC on the machine which is giving me
the exact same problem, to no avail: the red crosses remained.

Small reminder: I manage a network of 12 Win2000 machines connected to a
Samba PDC and file server, and only one of them is having this problem.
The machine is almost identical to another one, both in hardware and
software (the OS was cloned from the other one); the main difference is
that it has a Pioneer DVD burner, beside the regular CD reader, and Nero
installed.

I already had the same problem in the past, which I eventually discovered
was caused by the installation of Easy CD Creator 5.

So, recalling something about past problems with Easy CD Creator, here's
what I did today: I removed the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values from
the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
(I hope that's the right number at the end, I'm not at that machine now
and copied it from a MS article; anyway the two values were something like
"Cdr4_2K" and "Cdralw2k".)

I then only had the possibility to test the machine for a few minutes, but
the problem seemed to be gone (it usually appeared right from login or
very soon after).

Can you try doing the same? Do a backup of the registry key before
deleting those values, you never know.

Please make me know if it helps, thanks.

--
Ciao,
  Marco.

..."You Had It Coming", Jeff Beck 2001