[Samba] how to check IP addresses of machines in the network?

Nick Soracco nick at hrd-aerosystems.com
Tue Jan 18 19:35:46 GMT 2005

Tomek,

So you know the netbios name of the machine you want to access, but not
it's IP address.  My suggestion would be to modify the
/etc/nsswitch.conf file on whichever machine you need to VNC from.

Find the line containing "hosts: files,dns" (or something to that
effect) and appends "wins" to that list, eg: "hosts: files,dns,wins"

Now your machine should resolve netbios names as well as IP addresses,
so you could type: 'vncviewer SERWER:0' and be on your way.

There's also the nmblookup tool, which might be easier to use if you
don't have root access to modify nsswitch.conf.

HTH,

-- Nick

p.s.: first post to this list, hope I followed the correct etiquette.
p.p.s: the above suggestion works with Samba 3, I'm not sure about samba
2.2 or older.