[Samba] Re: Unable to connect to smb shares from second machine in workgroup

Andrew DeFaria Andrew at DeFaria.com
Tue Jan 18 18:10:15 GMT 2005

Ed Holden wrote:

> So you are connecting, but it seems to be rejecting just the password.
> That is odd.

As I said, it also appears that the SMB server is unaware of the machine
named Starbase. Remember nmblookup is unable to locate the machine named
Starbase.

> Are you sure the username is valid?

Yes. Only one username is in play here, albeit mapped on the Linux
machine, and that's "Andrew DeFaria". It's the same username on Voyager
and the same username on Starbase. Remember Starbase used to occupy
Voyager's place. And smbusers maps "Andrew DeFaria" -> andrew, which is
my username on the Linux box Earth.

And remember, this mapping is currently working from Voyager\Andrew
DeFaria -> andrew at earth. Also, Starbase\Andrew DeFaria can map shares
from Voyager and Voyager\Andrew DeFaria can map shares from Starbase.
Voyager\Andrew DeFaria can map shares from Earth. It's only
Starbase\Andrew DeFaria that cannot map shares nor browse shares on
Earth. Note that Starbase can browse into the workgroup Universe and it
sees some share names there (It sees Web for example, and a couple
others, but not all of the ones that Voyager sees). If, however, I
attempt to browse into Web, for instance, the username/password dialog
box pops up and as I said, no username password combination works! :-( .

> What if you use Explorer and input \\earth\web?  It should prompt you
> for a user and password?

Yes I do this all the time, usually as the test case. Yes it does prompt
for a username/password. I have tried all of
[Earth|Voyager|Starbase]\Andrew DeFaria. I've also tried
[Earth|Voyager|Starbase]\andrew. Nothing works, with the one and only
password for "Starbase\Andrew DeFaria" and andrew at earth. The password is
the same for all user IDs being used here.

If I browse from Voyager to \\earth\web I get in no dialogs or prompts
or problems.

> What if you create a new user on earth and dry to connect as the new
> user?

Interesting and I will try that. However how exactly do I state that new
user? Do you mean in the username/password dialog box presented on
Starbase when I browse to \\earth\web I specify a username of say
earth\root and then root's password. I believe I tried that. Didn't
work, but I could try it again (actually I see that smbusers has a
mapping for root -> "administrator" and "admin". Perhaps I should try
earth\administrator?
--
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every
other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the