[Samba] NetBIOS across subnets

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at interia.pl
Tue Jan 18 16:24:58 GMT 2005

Misty Stanley-Jones wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 January 2005 10:49, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>
>>In my opinion, it is wrong.
>>
>>On one server, set:
>>
>>wins support = yes
>>
>>On the other:
>>

>>wins server = 192.168.5.2  # (IP of the first one)
>>wins proxy = yes
>

> I did this, and I think it MIGHT have worked.  Not sure.  I get this:
> oink:/usr/local/samba/var/locks # net rpc trustdom establish furn
> Password:
> Could not connect to server FURNSRV
> Trust to domain FURN established
>
> urnsrv:/usr/local/samba/var/locks # net rpc trustdom establish corp
> Password:
> Could not connect to server CORPSRV
> Trust to domain CORP established
>
> How in the world do I know if it worked or not.  Going to check it now.
> Either way those errors certainly are sending mixed signals.
>
> It only will let me connect as a guest.  I don't know if that's the expected
> behavior -- need to read more.  The more important this is being able to join
> a domain on a different subnet, as that is what needs to happen when I
> combine the two domains into one.

don't know about joining a domain from another network - never tried.
I only tried joining the same domain (although in a different network).

This is how it works for me:

In the "Network neighbourhood" of your windows machine you should see
hosts from both networks.

smbclient -L server should list hosts from each network.

Another problem you might have is too restrictive firewall between the
two subnets - you will see the hosts, will be able to browse, but won't
be able to join the domain.

Tomek