[Samba] NetBIOS across subnets

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at interia.pl
Tue Jan 18 15:49:21 GMT 2005

Misty Stanley-Jones wrote:

 > Hi all,
 >
 > I would like two Samba servers to be able to talk to each other via
NetBIOS.  The problem is that they are on two different subnets.  I have
enabled broadcast ping on the routers, and the servers can each ping the
other subnet with no trouble.  The two relevant IPs are 192.168.1.101
and 192.168.2.3.  There is a T1 between two Cisco routers, and IP
routing is all set up.
 > Currently 192.168.1.x is the CORP domain. Samba PDC is acting as the
WINS server.

 > 192.168.2.x is the FURN server, and its Samba PDC is acting as its
WINS server.

In my opinion, it is wrong.

On one server, set:

wins support = yes

On the other:

wins server = 192.168.5.2  # (IP of the first one)
wins proxy = yes

Tomek