[Samba] how to check IP addresses of machines in the network?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at interia.pl
Tue Jan 18 12:19:00 GMT 2005

Thomas M. Skeren III wrote:
> Daniel Wilson wrote:
>
>> try the tool that comes with samba (findsmb)?!
>>
>> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> This post is similar to what I posted yesterday '"smbclient -L host"
>>> to list IP addresses - possible?'.
>>>
>>> I have a PDC in one place and many workstations in different other
>>> places connected using WAN/VPN.
>>>
>>> These workstations have rather changing IPs assigned by DHCP.
>>>
>>> Sometimes I need to connect to these machines using VNC, for example,
>>> connect to machine AC-PC001 to show something to the user or fix
>>> something when a user is not there.
>>>
>>> However, smbclient -L pdc gives me only netbios names, and not IP
>>> addresses:
>>

> use smbstatus:
> PRiSM# smbstatus

This will list workstations that are currently connected to Samba
server; if the workstation is not connected to Samba, it won't be shown
with smbstatus.
So this method is not good for me.

# smbclient -L serwer
(...)
         Server               Comment
         PIOTRO
         SERWER

# smbstatus

Samba version 2.2.8a
Service      uid      gid      pid     machine

No locked files

Tomek