[Samba] how to check IP addresses of machines in the network?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at interia.pl
Tue Jan 18 10:27:14 GMT 2005

Hello,

This post is similar to what I posted yesterday '"smbclient -L host" to
list IP addresses - possible?'.

I have a PDC in one place and many workstations in different other
places connected using WAN/VPN.

These workstations have rather changing IPs assigned by DHCP.

Sometimes I need to connect to these machines using VNC, for example,
connect to machine AC-PC001 to show something to the user or fix
something when a user is not there.

However, smbclient -L pdc gives me only netbios names, and not IP addresses:

$ smbclient -L pdc
(...)
         Server               Comment
         AC-PC001
         AC-PC002

How can I list workstations with their netbios names and corresponding
IP addresses?

Tomek