[Samba] samba periodically access the disk even when idle ?

gary ng garyng2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 18 05:41:14 GMT 2005

Hi,

does samba server access the disk periodically even it
is not serving any client ? I am trying to setup a
home server which is not frequently used and set the
HD to spin down after 60s inactivity. But it get kicks
up again apparently by samba(stoping samba and the
disk won't spin up anymore). I think it is a 3 minute
or so interval.

Is there a way to tell it not to as I can sacrifice
some performance in exchange for much less noise and
some power savings.

thanks.

gary
ps. please cc if possible as I am not on this list(but
would check the archive).