[Samba] Getting "The network path was not found" error message

sambaclient at navicasoft.com sambaclient at navicasoft.com
Tue Jan 18 01:36:14 GMT 2005

I am trying to get a simple case of sharing files on a SUSE 9.2 Pro machine
for my local windows machines. No DNS, etc. Just want to be able to read and
write files on Linux box. Am getting "The network path was not found" error
message. Have pored through mailing lists as well as books. No luck.

Samba daemons are running. IP addresses are served to all machines from a DHCP
firewall.

Here is my smb.conf:

global]

	netbios name = Churchill
	security = share
	workgroup = Workgroup
	encrypt passwords = yes

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	valid users = %S
	browseable = no
	read only = no
	guest ok = yes

[users]
	comment = All users
	path = /home
	read only = no
	inherit acls = yes
	guest 0k = yes
	veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/

[general]
	comment = file share
	path = /general
	writeable = yes
	guest ok = yes

When I do a smbclient command, I get:

Churchill:~ # smbclient -L Churchill -U%
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.9-2.1-SUSE]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        users           Disk      All users
        general         Disk      file share
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0.9-2.1-SUSE)
        ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0.9-2.1-SUSE)
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.9-2.1-SUSE]

        Server               Comment
        CHURCHILL            Samba 3.0.9-2.1-SUSE

        Workgroup            Master
        WORKGROUP            CHURCHILL

It seems like I must have something misconfigured, but I can't figure out
what. Can anyone offer some guidance?