[Samba] Samba authentication slow against PDC

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Mon Jan 17 22:43:39 GMT 2005

>We are currently running three Samba 3.0.x file servers which authenticate
>against a Samba PDC running LDAP.  2 out of the 3 samba servers authenticate
>quickly(<5 seconds) when using smbclient -L localhost -U username however
>the third will eventually time out saying "Server did not respond in 20000
>milliseconds.  NetBIOS over TCP disabled" when there is any sort of load on
>it ~30% cpu usage.

How many clients do you have running against your server(s).  Have you
ever considered a BDC?  What program is chewing up the most cpu when
you're at 30%?   How many distinct samba processes do you have going?

Try dropping in with a console and seeing how well a command like getent
passwd or getent group, or even an ls -alF responds.  If it's slow then
your LDAP link could be to blame.  Make sure that you've got nscd
running on your PDC.  Maybe you need to split your LDAP master off the
machine (assuming it's not).

These are some guesses I've seen cause issues, but maybe with more load
information as to what is chewing up your cpu it will be more clear.

Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.
Systems Architect               Fax:    701-281-1322