[Samba] How to disable client NetBT via DHCP options?

David Black dave at jamsoft.com
Mon Jan 17 16:57:16 GMT 2005

I've just about given up on trying to get WinXP SP2, Cisco VPN Client
4.6.x, Samba 3.0.x PDC and NetBT working properly - without long login
and offline file sync delays.  The VPN client is most of the problem
when SP2 is installed, but all is fine with SP1.

Being we have nothing but WinXP clients on the network, I'd like to
explore disabling NetBT altogether, since the slowness completely goes
away.  Everything seems to work except Network Neighborhood - which we
can likely do without.  Dynamic DNS is working as it should.

Rather than disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP manually in each client's
network settings, I want to disable it at the (ISC) DHCP server so
laptops can go home and use resources on NetBT-enabled networks, without
making the user adjust network settings every time.

Here's as detailed info as I can find about it - but it pertains to a
Windows DHCP server.  What I want to know is the ISC DHCPD equivalent:

	http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313314

This could be an ISC DHCPD quesiton, but I'm just asking here first
because many Samba users are probably also using a Unix-based DHCP
server and might want to know the same.

Thanks,
Dave

P.S.: If anyone knows how to get browsing or equivalent (I've heard of
such a thing as AD share browsing) working in a Samba environment,
please let me know.