[Samba] Win2K. Raw CUPS printing, driver download

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Jan 17 07:43:24 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 19:35 -0500, Indiana Epilepsy and Child Neurology
wrote:
> Does anyone have a suggestion?
>
> The only replies I got were automated vacation responses.
>
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:27:52 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >Using Debian Sarge, samba, CUPS, and an HP G85 mutifunction with HPOJ
> >to use the G85 USB connection, I've been able to get raw printing to
> >work, and Point 'n' Print driver download to work, but not at the same
> >time.
> >
> >The driver download was a chore, because of HP's proprietary install
> >program.  Had to install the driver locally to get the needed files
> >and copy them manually to the Linux box.
> >
> >Raw printing didn't work unless I did a local install of the driver
> >and created a new port named //server/printer, which pretty much
> >defeats the driver download feature.  Incidentally, the documentation
> >on doing this refers to the "Details" tab, but it's really the "Ports"
> >tab in the Win2K printer driver Properties sheet.  The docs should
> >probably be updated for this.
> >
> >If I use the driver download, the output from a WordPad document with
> >just the word "test" spits out multiple pages, each being either blank
> >or just one line of garbage.  The first page has a line which begins
> >with @ and character like a capital C with a tail, then the printer
> >URL in the form \\server\printer, cut off near the end by a smiley
> >face and various other odd characters.  The URL appears to repeat near
> >the end of the line but is cut off when the printer runs out of room
> >on the right.
> >
> >My thinking is that the printer URL must be an artifact of sending the
> >data over the network, and that samba should be removing it, because
> >CUPS wouldn't know what to do with it.  Not sure why this happens with
> >the downloaded driver but not the locally installed one.
> >
> >I would prefer to use the driver download feature, since it doesn't
> >require a manual install of the driver on each workstation.  Can
> >anyone suggest how to get this to work?
----
I let this go because I always struggle with cups, eventually get it to
work and then am never convinced that I knew what it was exactly that I
did to make it work.

Generally, the thing that seems to work for me is to get the printer
working ideally on Linux first. The HP printers typically want to use
hpijs.ppd  -  this sets the proper rasterizer function.

Using Red Hat (RHEL or Fedora), I can't use both text editors and
wizards as the wizards will surely cream any hand entries so I have to
stick with one of the other and so I've given up with hand editing and
just use the wizards (sounds defeatist, I know).

The first page with @PJL etc. is HP's page description language coming
through and the rasterizer not knowing how to deal with it. My
understanding is that Samba doesn't do much with printing other than
apply ACL's and pass through to the cups facility. In fact, I'm not sure
that this is a samba question/problem at all.

Craig