[Samba] Access denied changing file attributes

Max Bolingbroke batterseapower at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 15 20:14:42 GMT 2005

Hi!

I've been tearing my hair out trying to get DOS file attributes to work
with Samba. Basically, I have it all set up so the user mbolingbroke
(me) can write to this Supernova Backup share I have - this all works
fine. However, since this is going to backup my Windows machine I want
to preserve the file attributes. To this end, I've set up mapping of the
attributess using "map archive = yes" and so on. However, whenever I try
to change the file attributes using either Windows or the smbclient, I
get the error: "An error occured applying attributes to the file <file
name> Access is denied".

I've tried using both extended attributes and the "map * = yes" approach
to do this - neither has worked. Both extended attributes and ACLs for
my filesystem are compiled into the kernel, although I removed the ACL I
had set up from my backup share at one stage trying to get this to work
and still no joy. The user mbolingbroke is mapped to the NT username of
"Max Bolingbroke" in smbusers and there is a corresponding entry in
smbpasswd.

I'd be really greatful for any insight on this problem! Thanks!

Max Bolingbroke

---------

getfacl output on share:

# file: supernova
# owner: mbolingbroke
# group: users
user::rwx
group::r-x
other::r-x

---------

smb.conf:

[global]
netbios name = Nebula
server string = An Expanding Cloud Of Vapour
workgroup = BOLINGBROKE

security = user
client ntlmv2 auth = yes
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

hosts allow = 192.168.1.

wins server = 192.168.1.2
name resolve order = wins hosts lmhosts bcase

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1024

preserve case = yes
short preserve case = yes