[Samba] Unable to connect to smb shares from second machine in workgroup

Ed Holden eholden at mclean.harvard.edu
Fri Jan 14 18:14:00 GMT 2005

That you are getting a password prompt on starbase at all indicates that
you are connecting to earth, but earth is probbaly rejecting your login.
  While voyager\foo and \starbase\foo may not be the same user, in my
experience as long as you are using the correct password for your Samba
user earth\foo, the username "foo" should work fine from starbase.  Are
you seeing anything odd in the Samba logs on earth?

Perhaps your wireless network is on a different subnet from your wired
one?  In that case a host allow line in smb.conf may be the culprit.
What happens when starbase is on the wired network instead of the
wireless one (assuming you have a normal ethernet port on starbase).

-Ed

:: Ed Holden
:: Administrator, Research Information Systems
:: McLean Hospital
:: Tel: (617) 855-2822
:: Web: http://research.mclean.harvard.edu/ris

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> I have a pretty simply home LAN with a Linux box (Mandrake 9.1) and 2 XP
> boxes. The workgroup is named UNIVERSE and the machines are earth
> (Linux), voyager (XP) and starbase (XP). (smb.conf has security=user).
>
> Voyager can browse over to \\earth\share no problem. Recently I
> connected starbase to my LAN using a wireless router. When on starbase I
> cannot browse to \\earth\share. When I do so I get prompted for a
> username/password. No username/password works however!
>
> Now I realize that in this situation with no domain control a user named
> voyager\foo is not considered the same as starbase\foo. However how can
> I get them both to be able to use \\earth\share?
>
> BTW: Starbase used to be able to browse to \\earth\share before. Voyager
> is a new XP box and replaced Starbase.
>
> Any ideas would be helpful.
>
> A little more info. Trying to follow the instructions at
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/diagnosis.html.
>
> When I do nmblookup -B voyager "*" I get:
>
> Earth:nmblookup -B voyager "*"
> querying * on 192.168.1.100
> 192.168.1.100 *<00>
>
> However when I do it for starbase:
>
> Earth:nmblookup -B starbase "*"
> querying * on 192.168.1.102
> name_query failed to find name *
>
> I have starbase in both /etc/hosts and /etc/samba/lmhosts pointing to
> 192.168.1.102. I've also tried completely turning off the XP SP2
> firewall on Starbase - didn't help.
>
> Ideas?

Any information, including protected health information (PHI), transmitted
 in this email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and or
exempt from disclosure under applicable Federal or State law. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in
reliance upon, protected health information (PHI) by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this email in error,
please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.