[Samba] attaching xp machine to existing domain

Greg Andrews andrews at rgt.com.au
Fri Jan 14 02:52:27 GMT 2005

Howdy All,

I have a problem with a machine which I am trying to connect to an
existing samba domain

1. The machine WAS connected to the domain as  hrennie$
2. Removed hrennie$ ( using smbpasswd -x hrennie$ ) from the system.
3. Changed the name of the machine to hrenniedt$ ( found that having a
user with the same name as the machine is not a good look ) .
4. Tried to reconnect the hrenniedt$ to the domain but all I get is

The following error occurred whilst attempting to join the domain

Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user,
using more than one username, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous
connections to the server or shared resource and try again.

I have had a look-see at smbstatus and there is no connection to the
server by this machine ( or the user who has rights to attach the machine
to the domain ) at all.
As I successfully changed the names of  six others xp machines  attached
to the same domain using the same method , I cant see why number 7 should
cause me this much grief.

Hopefully there is an easy fix for this problem.

Any and all ideas welcome as I have run out !!!

--
Greg Andrews
System Manager
andrews at rgt.com.au