[Samba] Kerberos negotion error? reply_spnego_kerberos(250)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jan 14 02:51:26 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 11:04 -0600, Ryan.Worthington at westam.com wrote:
> Good morning everyone,
>
> I have had Samba 3.0.9 running on Solaris, connected to a Windows AD
> domain for a couple of weeks now, and i've suddenly started getting the
> following errors:
>
> [2005/01/07 11:31:55, 1] smbd/sesssetup.c:reply_spnego_kerberos(250)
>   Username <domain>\IT075$ is invalid on this system
>
> It looks like some sort of issue with Kerberos, but I'm able to connect to
> shares with no problem. I've gone though the list archives and seen this
> error in various logs, but no one has addressed it specifically. Any idea
> what this means?

So, are you running winbindd, and is it really Samba 3.0.9?  These are
requests for machine accounts, as the local system service is performing
a network activity.  Winbindd has been providing these accounts for a
number of versions now.  If you don't run winbindd, then it's your
responsibility to provide all the equivalent accounts.

Andrew Bartlett