[Samba] Lingering WinXP SP2 issues

David Schlenk david-schlenk at bethel.edu
Thu Jan 13 21:45:56 GMT 2005

OK, after more testing:

The "A policy is in effect on your computer
which prevents you from connecting to this print queue. Please contact
your system administrator." message does indeed show up if a queue's
driver has not been loaded by a local admin in the past. This is
normal, this is expected.

What I'm experiencing is that occasionally, on a random queue,
different every time, some users (that are not local admins) get that
message, along with a few other errors saying "The application failed
to initialize properly (0xc000001d). Click on OK to terminate the
application." for something called SUBINACL.EXE. The queue would still
open, but printing wasn't reliable.

I talked to our windows admin about it and he couldn't think of why
that was happening, or if they would be related. It is interesting that
this only occurs when the machine's account is in an OU that has a lot
of group policies applied to it, so it probably has more to do with
that than samba.  We've run into some other policies that do bad things
with SP2 applied (like reboot loops).
--
David Schlenk
Operating Systems Analyst