[Samba] Lingering WinXP SP2 issues

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Thu Jan 13 18:26:02 GMT 2005

Misty Stanley-Jones wrote:

>On Thursday 13 January 2005 13:11, Paul Gienger wrote:
>

>>>Has anyone else had this behavior? Any fixes (deleting tdb files
>>>perhaps)?
>>>

>>It's a client side issue, no server changes would fix it aside from
>>making the user a member of Domain Admins, thereby giving local admin.
>>That's most likely not what you REALLY want to do though.
>>

>It would be solved by using [PRINT$] share and storing all your printer
>drivers on the server.  A normal user will be able to connect to a network
>printer but won't be able to install any drivers.

Do you install printers in a login script?  If so, I'd be interested in
seeing exactly how you get around the issue of non-admins not being able
to install printer drivers, since I've had to work-around here forever.
Yes, we do store printer drivers on the server.

Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.
Systems Architect               Fax:    701-281-1322