[Samba] Lingering WinXP SP2 issues

David Schlenk david-schlenk at bethel.edu
Thu Jan 13 17:32:02 GMT 2005

After apparently flawed testing, we rolled out SP2 for XP this week as
samba seemed to be able to handle printing acceptably in recent
versions.

Once we rolled it out, we started getting reports of many users
receiving the error :A policy is in effect on your computer which
prevents you from connecting to this print queue. Please contact your
system administrator." on a select few queues.  This occurs only on WXP
SP2 machines when the user has less-than-admin rights on the local
machine.  Users with local admin priviledges seem to have jobs
disappear occasionally, but otherwise behave normally.

Has anyone else had this behavior? Any fixes (deleting tdb files
perhaps)?
--
David Schlenk
Operating Systems Analyst