[Samba] Samba 2.2 to 3.0.9 DC upgrade problems

Hans du Plooy hansdp at newingtoncs.co.za
Wed Jan 12 19:09:54 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I just replaced a client's SUSE 8.0/Samba 2.2 DC with a SUSE 9.2/Samba 3.0.9
DC.  Drives were giving trouble, and since that box was a first attempt at a
linux DC there was a lot of room for improvement.

I copied the profiles and home directories over to the new machine, chowned
them to the new users.  I also did extracted the securid from the old DC and
set it to the new one (using the net command).  I expected the clients not to
notice.  Oh dear...

First off, the Windows 98 clients, stupid as they are on a network, didn't
notice at all.  But the Windows 2000 and Windows XP Pro ones had trouble.
They all logged in fine, but they all had all sorts of weird problems.  For
example, upon starting outlook, it did the whole
install-the-user-specific-stuff routine you get when you run it for the first
time.  I ended up having to rename the profile and have it create a new one.
Lot's of unhappy users....

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?  My suspicion, in hindsight, is that the
local copy of the profile on each client, belongs to the domain user, as
identified by it's userid (I'm sure I've seen windows refering to a "Unix
user 514" or something similar before), and that the user id has changed
(which it has - SUSE 8.0 maps users from 500 up, 9.2 from 1000 up).  Can
anyone shed some light?

Thanks
--
Kind regards