[Samba] smbfs pc-netlink problem

Rob Brenart (TT) Rob.Brenart at tradingtechnologies.com
Wed Jan 12 19:12:15 GMT 2005

I posted basically this problem yesterday with no response, but I have some
new information so here's a rego.

I mount a solaris box which is sharing files with pc-netlink

I use the following line in my fstab

//machinename/Share /mnt/machinename/share smbfs
credentials=/etc/fstabpwds/username,ro,user 0 0

And it mounts fine, I can access all the directories, and most of the files.

Some of the files however are problematic. Namely, I can't copy them or open
them or use them in anyway. If I try to cp them, the process never ends and
the resulting file grows until it takes up all the space on the destination
drive.

If it's a text file, and I try to cat it, the process hangs.

An ls -l of the file does show the proper file size.

I have smbfs 3.0.10-1 installed.
I'm running
Linux version 2.6.8-1-386 (joshk at trollwife) (gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian
1:3.3.5-2)) #1

Connecting to the same share via a
Smbclient //machinename/Share

Allows me to navigate to, and get the files just fine.

Accessing these shares from Windows boxes works just fine.

I'm completely stumped, and this is a show stopper for rolling out a new
server, so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.