[Samba] help needed to move from Samba 2 to 3

Mark Mitchell mark.mitchell at are.ltd.uk
Wed Jan 12 11:26:19 GMT 2005

Hi
I know that these kind of postings are sometimes frowned upon, so i will
apologise in advance.

What we have had in place for over 5 years is a Redhat 5.2 machine
running Samba 2.06, and Win 95, 98 and ME clients, with but Home and
Public shares on Samba. I am happy configuring this version of Samba to
do what I want it to do and it has worked well.

Needing to have Win 2000 & XP Clients We now have a replacement box,
Running Fedora, and Samba 3. I have been doing my very best to hook
these up and have been spending some time on this and seem to have hit a
brick wall, I can establish a share for WinME, but WinXP just doesn't
want to connect to a share, thought it will log on to a the domain. I
have configured both machines 'by the book' I get the feeling that is
maybe my lack of experience with XP that is the problem more than at the
server end?

Can any one out there offer some professional help? We are in South East
England. I am not a Unix Guru, but I am no Unix idiot either. I just
feel I need a bit of 'hand holding' to get me running with samba 3 and
win XP.

Mark

A.R.E. Limited              T: 01252 711777
East Street                 F: 01252 723918
Farnham                     E: mailto:sales at are.ltd.uk
Surrey    GU9 7XU           W: http://www.are.ltd.uk

Distributors of Quality Automotive Parts and Accessories

The views expressed herein are those of the author of this document and do not necessarily represent the views of this company. This transmission may be confidential, if you are not the intended recipient you should notify us.