[Samba] need some assistance - Samba 3.09 on FreeBSD 4.5

David Landgren landgren at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 07:53:44 GMT 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:10:12 -0800, Jon Starbird
<jcstar at streamtheory.com> wrote:
> Hello,

You say you're running FreeBSD 4.5. That's a really *really* old
version. And the 4.x series just doesn't do nsswitching. A consultant
and I tried long and hard to get FreeBSD 4.8 or so to work just as
Samba 3.0 was coming out but in the end gave up and switched to Linux.
The lack of support for nss in the kernel just kills the idea dead.

FreeBSD 5.2 more or less worked, but there were a few quirks that
stopped it from happening for me. I built a box with 5.3-RELEASE the
other day and I can confirm everything (ldap, nss, samba, pam) works
perfectly.

> Any help will be greatly apprecicated.

Hate to break the news to you, but an upgrade of the box is your only solution.

David