[Samba] Where are Windows file permissions stored and how to change them?

abo abo at brujulatelecom.com
Tue Jan 11 10:05:10 GMT 2005

i think samba doen't "store" anything, just "translate" it. you need a
filesystem with acl support, just like ext3, and of course, enable it,
you can test it with a simple mount command to see if you have acls
activated:
root at nortix~# mount
/dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw,acl,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/hda3 on /home type ext3 (rw,acl)

you can admin this permissions with something like g/setfacl or
maybe a frontend like http://pytk-fsacls.sourceforge.net/
then the task of samba is just translate it to NTFS acls. when you
right-click on a file shared with samba you'll se an advanced
permissions button on security tab.

hope this help.

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:54:25 +0100
Florian Effenberger <floeff at arcor.de> wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> where are the Windows file permissions (i.e. ACL) stored when using
Samba?