[Samba] Samba and Kerberos V

pll+samba at permabit.com pll+samba at permabit.com
Mon Jan 10 18:49:04 GMT 2005

  Jukka> Does Samba have native Kerberos V support, i.e. is it
  Jukka> possible to authenticate against a (Heimdal, in our case)
  Jukka> kdc?

  Ganeshram> I had just recently asked this question on this.

I see this question pop up on this list every so often, but one thing
I never see addressed is whether or not Samba can be used to
autheticate to the localhost, which, using PAM, could then
authenticate against Kerberos.  Apache can do this, or use it's
mod_auth_krb5 module.  Why can't Samba do something similar?

People who have an existing MIT kerberos implementation aren't going
to want to switch over to Heimdal.  And storing kerberos data in LDAP
just seems like an inherently bad idea to begin with.

--
Seeya,
Paul

GPG Key fingerprint = 1660 FECC 5D21 D286 F853  E808 BB07 9239 53F1 28EE