[Samba] force create mode

Patrick DUBAU patrick.dubau at alsace.iufm.fr
Mon Jan 10 16:30:45 GMT 2005

This is an update.
I found for question 2. Just put    force group =  <group name> or set
the setgid bit on the root directory of the share

But i still can't solve my first problem.
What do i have to do so that each file that a user creates has the
following rights rwx rwx --- ?
Were is the trick ? i read about force mask , creat mask ... in man
smb.conf but i really don't understand....

> i wan to force  the rights of a file that is created by a user at rwx
> rwx --- in the shared folder (samba 3.10)
>
> here's the section in smb.conf file of the share
> [compta]
> comment = fichiers du service comptable
> path = /home/services/compta
> public = yes
> writeable = yes
> read only = no
> force create mode = 0034
> valid users = @compta
> # le groupe superviseur a tous les droits sur ce partage
> admin users = @superviseur
> browseable = no
>
> i put force create mode = 0034, because i read that samba will make a
> 'OR' bit operation on it
> The default creat mask is 0744 so when i create a file the rights are
> rwx r-- r--.
> Ok
> But when i put  force create mode = 0034 i get rwx rwx r--  instead
> of  rwx  rwx  --- !!
> Where is the mistake?
>
> Second question :
> What instruction do i have to add in the [compta] section so that all
> the files are created with the right group (for now they are created
> with 'Domain Users' group)
>
> Thanks for ant help

Patrick DUBAU
IUFM d'Alsace -  Service Informatique : "Parfois détruire, souvent construire, toujours Servir"
200 avenue de Colmar 67100 STRASBOURG
Téléphone: 03.88.40.79.76