[Samba] smbpasswd -e (3.0.10)

William Jojo jojowil at hvcc.edu
Mon Jan 10 15:36:51 GMT 2005

AIX 5.2, OpenLDAP 2.2.20

We've just moved to LDAP (this weekend) and when I do a smbpasswd -e to
enable a user it is prompting for a "New SMB password:"

I've secured the attributes like so:

access to dn.subtree="ou=People,dc=hvcc,dc=edu" attrs=userPassword
  by self write
  by dn="cn=root,dc=hvcc,dc=edu" write
  by * auth

access to dn.subtree="ou=People,dc=hvcc,dc=edu" attrs=sambaLMPassword,sambaNTPassword
  by dn="cn=root,dc=hvcc,dc=edu" write
  by * none

Per the docs, but the problem is a -D10 shows:

smbldap_get_single_attribute: [sambaUserWorkstations] = [<does not exist>]
smbldap_get_single_attribute: [sambaMungedDial] = [<does not exist>]
smbldap_get_single_attribute: [sambaLMPassword] = [<does not exist>]
smbldap_get_single_attribute: [sambaNTPassword] = [<does not exist>]

Which clearly indicates the security is too tight, but why doesn't it
connect as rootdn since I'm running it as the root user anyway?

Bill