[Samba] Re: Differences between Samba-related PAM modules

William Enestvedt wenestvedt at jwu.edu
Mon Jan 10 14:55:26 GMT 2005

Jerry wrote:

> Looks like a good summary to me.  You can also use
> pam_ldap and pam_krb5 with AD.

   Is this also true on Solaris 8?
   I'm trying to get Samba 3.0.10 to authenticate some Windows users against
the Active Directory without making local Solaris accounts. Do I need to
build MIT Kerberos [done, v. 1.3.5], then OpenLDAP [having problems learning
how to configure this, 2.2.19], and *then* Samba?
   Does pam_ldap replace OpenLDAP? Does pam-krb5 replace Kerberos? Can I use
just one, or do both substitutions take place?
   I have the books and I try to read the newsgroup, but I'm having trouble
getting all three of these things going at once. (I have a late 2-series
Samba install running, but it doesn't have the snazzy AD integration.)
   Thanks for any pointers to more information.
-wde

--
William Enestvedt
]UNIX System Administrator   |   Johnson & Wales University, Providence, RI