[Samba] Off line folders

Collins, Kevin KCollins at nesbittengineering.com
Mon Jan 10 13:19:47 GMT 2005

I may be able to help on this one...we were having a similar problem and
just last week cured it. (I hope!)

I had to do two things:

1). On the clients having this problem, edit this registry key:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\NetCache\GoOff
lineOnSlowLink".  If it's not there (as in my case) you may have to add the
last key.  Make sure it's a DWORD Value when you add it.  Then set it's
value to "1".  Restart the computer.

2). Next define a group policy that determines what a "Slow Link" is.  Run
"GPEDIT.msc" from a command line and then look for the following selection:
"Computer Configuration->Adminstrative Templates->Network->Offline
Files->Configure Slow Link Speed".  I set it to a ridulously low speed - 32k
- as I never hope to see my 100Mb/s network reduced to that little amount of
bandwidth.  Since then my users have not been offline once. (Unless of
course they actually are disconnected from my network.)

I hope I've helped.

Kevin