[Samba] chinese characters

Max Waterman davidmaxwaterman at fastmail.co.uk
Mon Jan 10 06:41:43 GMT 2005

Hi,

I am using SME server 6.0 which has samba preconfigured on it. We
upgraded from MS Windows 2000 server.

I am using the server in China and so many of the users wish to create
files with Chinese characters in their names.

File names with Chinese characters seem to cause all sorts of problems.
They have trouble creating them, and files which are copied off backup
(from the W2K system) seem to stop them from logging in (because they
cannot be copied off the server).

Can someone point me at any resources for debugging this sort of problem?

I have been to the SME forums but they haven't been any help - the only
thing was a mention of a couple of parameters ('character set' should be
commented out, and 'client code page' set to 936) in the smb.conf file
(as per the man page).

Is there anything else I need to do? Is there anywhere that explains how
this is supposed to work. How do I use the server with computers using
different 'code pages', as reported by the dos command chcp?

Thanks for any help.

Max.