[Samba] Trouble migrating from plain text to encrypted passwords

Ian Moore imoore at picknowl.com.au
Sat Jan 8 12:00:16 GMT 2005

Hi,
I'm looking for some help to migrate from plain text to encrypted passwords.
I'm using smbpasswd for authentication on a FreeBSD 4.9 server with samba
2.2.8.
When we set up our server, we had Win95 clients with plain text passwords. As
we introduced Win98 clients, we just kept with the plain text passwords.
Now we are looking at XP clients and enctrypted passwords.
My understanding from everything I've found on this subject is that by setting
update encrypted = Yes and encrypt password = no, I sould be able to migrate
from unencrypted to encrypted passwords.
I've made those settings in swat, logged in on a plain password client & then
set the client to use encrypted passwords and tried to log in again, but the
password is refused.

Here's the Global section of my smb.conf:
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from logger (192.168.0.7)
# Date: 2004/07/08 21:01:49

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = 3D_RADIO
	netbios name = MSGSERVER
	server string = Message Server
	interfaces = 192.168.0.2/24
	update encrypted = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *New* %n\r *Retype* %n\r *done*
	password level = 1
	unix password sync = Yes
	log file = /var/log/smblog.%m
	max log size = 50
	time server = Yes
	logon script = %U.bat
	logon home = \\%L\%U\.profiles
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 33
	preferred master = Yes
	domain master = Yes
	dns proxy = No
	wins support = Yes
	guest account = onair
	create mask = 0764
	hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.
	preserve case = No
	short preserve case = No

Should this work, or do I have to scrap the smbpasswd file & start again?
Hope someone can help me out!

Cheers,
--
Ian