[Samba] Printing via Samba fails

Stefan Onken stonki at stonki.de
Fri Jan 7 19:33:16 GMT 2005

Hello,

I am trying to setup a Samba 3.0.x Network, which should replace an
old Samba 2.2.7 network. We do have three Printers in the Network
which are handled by Cups. I would like to share these printer via
Samba.

But if I try to add these printer on a windows box via (rough
english translation from German)t:

DESKTOP --> NETWORK  --> SAMBA SERVER --> PRINTER

Than I am getting these:
"thomas (192.168.2.88) couldn't find service ::
{2227a280-3aea-1069-a2de-08002b30309d}"

I search for this phrase in google, but the anwsers did not giving
me an idea.

If I do:

START --> PROPERTIES --> PRINTER --> NEW PRINTER --> NETWORK PRINTER
--> "PRINTER NAME <empty> <next>" --> SAMBA SERVER --> PRINTER (FS
1050)

than it seems to work, but each click on Properties giving the
result, that the printer drivers should not be installed properly -
even after a new installation of the drivers.

If I am adding the printing via --> NETWORK PRINTER --> URL (of the
cups server:631/printer/,,,) than everything is working flawless -
but of course without the printer driver deployment and so on. Any
idea ?

smb.conf:
[...]
        printing = cups